As the song goes, we're 'having a heatwave' in the UK right now and it looks set to continue.
Personalised paper fans make ideal wedding favours in hot weather
Whilst you may have hoped for bright blue skies and a sunny day for your wedding day, a really hot day can be exhausting. So how can you make sure that your wedding guests stay cool and relaxed, rather than tired and weary in the heat?
- Make sure that plenty of soft drinks are available to your guests. Jugs of iced water are perfectly acceptable - don't just offer fizzy drinks and fruit juices. Water is very thirst quenching and cooling. Keep the soft drinks flowing - you may find people prefer non-alcoholic drinks in hot weather in preference to drinking wine.
- If the forecast is hot for your wedding day, consider offering small bottles of iced mineral water to guests when they leave the ceremony.
- In the ladies (and the gents) you could leave out sunscreen, small packets of tissues and deodorant sprays
- If you're serving pre-reception drinks outside, make sure there's some shade available. Either the shadows cast by trees or ask your venue to put up some parasols.
- A bride with a bright red face is so not a good look, so buy yourself a pretty wedding parasol so you know you'll always be shaded from the sun's fierce rays when you're chatting to your guests.
- Your marquee may be hot inside, so ask the venue to raise all the sides so that a breeze flows through. You could also ask for electric fans.
- Remember that decorative flowers and table centres will need more water in hot weather, so make sure that whoever is co-ordinating the details keeps arrangements sprayed with a mister and the water is topped up.
- If your reception is in a building, ask them to crank up the air-conditioning. Blinds should be drawn in strategic places so no guests are sitting in hot patches of sunlight. If there's no air-conditioning, all the windows need to be opened and you should have some electric fans in place.
- If you're having dancing later, ask if you can have a dancefloor erected outside rather than inside. Dancing under the stars is so romantic.
- Buy some cheap paper fans for your female guests and leave them in a basket at the entrance to your reception. Or if you haven't organised wedding favours, you could put one at every place setting and have them personalised.
- If you have children at your wedding, make sure there's a chill-out room where the young ones can watch a dvd in the cool and be entertained. Children running outside in the heat get tired and grumpy quickly.
Did you get married during a heatwave? Have you any tips to add to these?
Image credits: Main image via Style Me Pretty. Paper fans by Fantastica.